I was away last weekend (16th & 17th February), and it slowed me down. Moreover, there was an extraordinary painting I wanted to discuss while retrieving and preparing posts on another form of illuminated manuscripts: bestiaries.
So there are areas of illuminated manuscripts
- Books of Hours: Les Très Riches Heures, etc. (Flemish, 1415-1416);
- liturgical and devotional books, The Book of Kells, a gospel book (Insular art [British Isles], 800s),;
- allegories, one of which depicts aspects of love.
We will concentrate on
- the Aberdeen Bestiary, (12th century), Insular art [Celtic, mostly]),
- the Ashmole Bestiary (12th and 13th century, English) and
- Richard de Fournival‘s “Bestiaire d’Amour“ (Love Bestiary, 13th century, France).
We already have a post on the Phœnix (listed below) and a very short post on the Aberdeen Bestiary, the richest illuminated bestiary, and at the same time we will look at the history of printing and the history of books. We know that illuminations became our illustrations, common in children’s literature. We also know that medieval calligraphy gave us many of the fonts we still use, but there are other elements.
However, expect surprises.
I may not be able to post a blog on Friday and Saturday of this week, the 22nd and the 23rd. My cataracts must be removed. The left eye will be operated on this Friday.CLOSELY RELATED ARTICLES From Bestiaries to… Harry Potter (29 October 2011) The Phœnix: on the Importance of Symbols and Myths (2 February 2012) The Dragon East & West (4 February 2012)
* * *Micheline Walker@ February 20, 2013 WordPress Ashmole Bestiary, The Unicorn (Please click on the picture to enlarge it.)
- Monsters By Email – A New Level of Bestiary (rpg-creatures.blogspot.com)
- The Book of Barely Imagined Beings (callumjhackett.com)
- From Bestiaries to… Harry Potter (michelinewalker.com)
- The Phœnix: on the Importance of Symbols and Myths (michelinewalker.com)
- The Dragon East & West (michelinewalker.com)
- The Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry (michelinewalker.com)
- Other Illuminated Manuscripts (michelinewalker.com)
- Books of Hours, a Rich Legacy (michelinewalker.com)